BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Makin Bank, Gettin Robbed

 Imagine, by Alison Lester
and
A Day With Wilbur Robinson by William Joyce

So the other day I got a call from my roomate with some bad news- my apartment had been broken into. They took a laptop, a wii, an x box, a video camera, and my roomate jon for secret reasons haha not really! They also took my little silver necklace with a heart in the center (which was filled with little diamonds... and was of sentimetal value). And so on. It was very bad...

BUT I WAS IN THE BEST CHILDRENS BOOKSTORE IN NEW YORK CITY. And so I was in my happy place, and the news hit me less like a brick and more like a koosh ball. With delayed-action poison on it.
I bought myself a couple books, which is big- I never buy books, but I needed the retail therapy. They are great- the first is so cute and educational! and the second has really super illustrations (I wasn't crazy about the text... I would have even preferred a silent story). Imagine is the perfect book for learning about ANIMALS!
 

Bank Street Bookstore is on 112th street and Broadway in Manhattan and has two floors packed with books. There are even games and tons of teaching materials. Each wall is seven shelves high, and there are so many books that for the most part the only way to browse is via spine. I was particularly excited by the ladders on wheels... anytime I feel like I've stepped into Disney's Beauty and the Beast, its a good thing. (Bank Street bookstore would be the bookstore in Belle's village. The Beast's Library is more like the library in the Morgan Museum on Madison Ave. But he was a collector of medieval illuminated manuscripts, which sometimes had brilliant illustrations but were not necessarily as fun to read as kids lit.)

                                       Belles Bank St. Bookstore    The Beast's Beauteous Bibliotheque

I cannot laud this place enough. It has everything. And somehow, finding it has inspired me to commit a bit harder to this interest of mine- beyond blogging, I want to be on the mailing lists, in the clubs, I want to do storytimes, maybe even try to get a job in childrens publishing...
Love from above and below
me

0 comments: