BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

At the End of this Book..


and
The Monster at the End of this Book by Jon Stone (author) and Michael Smollin (illustrator)

Hello! The two books I have chosen to feature today are following the 2 blue books model of a new book I've read and a childhood favorite that it reminded me of.


Some Things are Scary is an excellent example of the magic that can be made out of an
author and an illustrator coming upon a simple idea and executing it simply- each page is yet another thing that... is scary!! (Example: holding your mothers hand and then finding out its not your mother... is scary!) Each thing that is scary can stand on its own but what's very sweet about it as a whole is all the scary things are things that a child generally thinks is terrifying- losing control of your roller skates, having your best friend move away. But what got me thinking about this book is the real doozy at the end- in some cynical, your-problems-are-only-beginning way, the final and biggest scare at the end of the book is... the knowledge that you will one day grow up!! I also liked when Florence Perry teamed up with the wonderous Lane Smith on her book about Princess Hyacinth (the surprising tale of a girl who floated). This woman gets some good collaborations going.

I both resented this ending "hey, being a grown up is great! You can have a trampoline in your house if you want! You can eat ice cream for breakfast!" and yet, I had to admit...growing up is scary!
So my companion book is the aptly titled, "The Monster at the End of this Book", starring the 'lovable, furry old grover'. Who does NOT love Grover??? And instead of summarize or review it, I'm just going to let you enjoy:



Love, Arla

0 comments: